Sunday, March 09, 2008

Sylhet in Pictures

Last December I had the chance to visit Sylhet, located in the North-East of Bangladesh, along the borders of India. Sylhet is well known for its tea gardens, the Shrine of Hazrat Shah Jalal (RA), its splendid scenic beauty with hills standing firm in the horizon and to add to it- the extreme cold in its air.



I have some more of Sylhet pics somewhere in my early blog entries. But those were hired from my sister, and this time I was too excited as I myself was there to take as many pics I wanted.

I was one of the 70+ members of the team that visited Sylhet on a "study tour" from our uni. Although we called that "study tour", it is actualy an "escape from the boring studies" and so we all were excited to our most.



It takes around 12 hours through train from Chittagong, and we had two boggies hired for our team. The more we proceeded Sylhet, the more the December cold was increasing and we all were cuddled together, trying to save ourselves from the cold. There is not much of sightseeing possible in night train journeys, so we just didn't mind sitting with all the ammunitions we had to fight the cold. Not to mention, there was always some kind or another fun items going on here and there.


Just to add here, I earned some fame taking pics of different sleeping poses :D



The morning was great. WE were all so excited to reach Sylhet that we forgot we had a bad night with almost no sleep (that's what everyone was trying to say, though I had concrete proof of almost everyone's strange sleeping styles).



And I better continue with the story in pics rather than in words. That's already too much for this blog. If you have alraedy read till this much, I must give you a thanks for your patience.



To start with the pics, these two are just a glimpse of a tea garden from Sylhet. We only visited one garden, and that also just before the sunset, and not for longer than half an hour. So I need to aplogize first for the low quality picture:



1 comment:

toxoid_toxaemia said...

I've been to sylhet few yrs ago but didn't get much time to roam around becoz of dad's stupid work commitment :(